Monday, February 1, 2010

Looking for Diamonds in "The Dead"


So after scouring through the "The Dead" trying to find "ooh" and "aah" moments, or as Dr.Sexson has coined them, diamonds, I have come across a few different points of interest. I am not sure these count as diamonds though so instead I will deem them to be a less precious stone like a garnet as i am still "mining" for diamonds.

First off Gabriel's name seemed like an interesting choice to me, because even with my severe lack of biblical knowledge I knew that the name had at least something to do with religion. So with a little research I came to learn that Gabriel was an archangel in the Bible who plays a few different roles. He is said to be the one to announce the end of time or the last judgement with the blowing of a horn and he is also present during both the passion and Resurrection of Jesus, it is Gabriel that announces Christ's Resurrection to the women outside his tomb, called the "Myrrh-bearing women." One of these women is Christ's mother Mary, who is often given the symbol of the lily, further, depictions of Gabriel often show him holding a lily. Interestingly enough Lily is the name of the young housekeeper in the story. I am still trying to work out what this means for the two individual characters but it does seem that in a larger sense both characters are linked to the story of the Resurrection, possibly alluding to a Resurrection or rebirth in the story (last page anyone?) but again this is all conjecture, so do with it what you may.

No comments:

Post a Comment